Sunday, May 18, 2008



Ravelry: Fiber's FaceBook

I've succumbed to the lure of the social network. After 15+ years of e-mail, forums, ListServs, UseNet groups, and YahooGroups, I've finally waded into the "world" of social networking with joining Ravelry.

I hadn't even heard of Ravelry until about 2 weeks ago, when I was reading old e-newsletters from the guild, and there was a mention of it. I was curious, so I checked it out, and got on the waiting list to be a member. It's a little odd--I'm used to lists and groups that either allow immediate access, or access with 24 hours, and here I was being asked to wait until they had space for me. Surely there aren't that many fiber fans in the world!?! It turns out, there are. Ravelry currently has 126,000+ registered users, and an additional 1,000 are added each day. I got my "invitation" on Wednesday, and joined.

OK, I like this Website. The coolest part of the entire Website is the Notebook you can set up of your projects, your stash, your tools, and just about anything else you might want to organize. Even better: you can link to most of the blog sites and Flickr, and easily add photos and links to blog entries. This just may be one of the best organizational tools around for fiber folk. It's pretty intuitive (if you can put your pictures on Flickr, you can do most of the stuff on the site without the tutorial), and it seems pretty easy to update things on the fly. I put a couple projects in the notebook, linked them to photos on Flickr, linked them to entries in this blog, and it all seems pretty tidy.

The groups are OK; I think I need to look at them some before making a final decision, as I'm already used to my YahooGroups, and know a lot of people on them. However, the Group feature would be terrific as an online list for members of a spinning guild.

So check it out! http://www.ravelry.com/

No comments: