Saturday, June 30, 2012

My Ravatar for the Tour de Fleece.
Based on a poster by Chungkong.
Spin Journal #15:
It's Tour de Fleece Time!

     It's July (almost) and everywhere people are pulling out fiber, discussing twists per inch, and posting pictures of spindles, wheels, and yarn. That's right--it's Tour de Fleece (TdF) time again, when 5,400+ spinners on Ravelry challenge themselves to create as much yarn as they possibly can during the three weeks of the Tour de France.
     This year, I'm the Director Sportif (fancy French for "Team Captain") of Team TARDIS--spinners who also are fans of the children's TV show, Doctor Who. Being the Director doesn't involve very much work. I simply started a thread for Team TARDIS and encouraged people to sign up. Now that the TdF has started, I'll encourage them in their fibery pursuits. I also, quite accidentally, got a prize donated to the team: a 4-oz. "braid" of BFL/silk top, dyed in shades of TARDIS blue. I was going to purchase the braid as a prize from Redfish Dyeworks while I was at CNCH, but they very generously donated the braid. I returned the favor by spending the money on some gorgeous handpainted Merino/silk top, so I think everybody won.
     For my own spinning, it's quite a tidy list:
  • 50g llanwenog top
  • 114g handpainted Merino/silk top*
  • 114g handpainted Polwarth/silk top
  • 196g "Mystery Batt"
  • 220g "dyed in the wool" orange Romney top
  • 228g handpainted BFL top*
  • 500+g black Romney top
  • 518g black Jacob batts
  • 529g "Falklands" (very white Corriedale) top
My "consolation" prize: Merino/silk!
The total right now is 2,469g or about 5 1/2 pounds of fiber that will be turned into yarn before the guys riding in the Tour de France cross the finish line in Paris on July 22. The TdF is an opportunity to get some fibers spun that have been lingering: only the fibers with asterisks were purposely purchased for the TdF. The rest is from my extensive (and constantly growing) stash.
     I'm off to spend quality time with my wheel(s). I'll post updates (with pictures) during the Tour.

No comments: