Saturday, July 27, 2013

Turning the Page

A big chapter of my life ended on June 30th. After 17 years of worrying about lesson plans, grades, keeping a classroom safe and productive, and all the other tasks that go along with being a full-time high school teacher, I have finally retired. It's a little earlier than I expected (I'm only 57), but it was time for me to move on to other things.

I have never been a "typical" teacher. I've tried to make room in my overly busy life for my friends, my hobbies, and my passions. I've never let teaching define a big part of who I am. As a result, retirement from teaching simply means I don't have to start worrying about lesson plans at the beginning of August, and getting up before the sun (and the students) once school starts in mid-August.

So, what am I doing to fill my "empty" hours? We will now pause for everyone to laugh hysterically. OK, enough of that. I started my own business as a fiber artist. Its name is Cal-Oro Fibrewerks. I have a tiny, tiny store on Etsy, a Facebook page, and I'm busy turning out handpainted fibers, handspun yarns, and handwoven textiles for people to love and (hopefully) buy. That's taking up a lot of my time, and I've never been happier.

In addition to the new business, I have a couple new "jobs." I'm now the president of the local historic preservation non-profit. I joined another fiber arts guild (Silverado Handweavers) and am serving as guild's liaison to the regional fiber arts organization.

I'm also doing some additional costuming, both for some historic spinning demonstrations, and for attending some Steampunk events. I think I even have time to start writing my blog again.

Basically, I'm busier than I've ever been, and a lot happier about it. Turning this page has been a very good thing.

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

My mother always said she didn't know how she find time to work because once she retired she was busier than ever! Enjoy your new phase of life. It will always be 'interesting'. :)
cheers,
Laura

Anonymous said...

It's very nice to meet you Dawn... I found you from a link on Pinterest, gotta love Pinterest! :D I'm a brand new spinner, really can't even call myself a spinner yet as I'm just learning. I have discovered weaving but a very different type from yours... a rectangular continuous strand loom as well as some reproduction Weavette mini looms. I like you am going through a metamorphosis and discovering all sorts of new and interesting things to get into trouble with :D I shall look forward to future posts, and again, glad to have found you in this huge blogosphere on the Internet!
Hugs,
Beth P