Friday, March 13, 2015

Casting About

   The sweater is officially under way! I finished the calculations to scale up the sweater last night, and cast on the back. I couldn't have done it without the help of The Complete Book of Progressive Knitting by Ida Riley Duncan. Originally published in the early 1940s, it's a little treasure-trove of information on how to knit garments that fit. I used it before when I knit the Skull Sweater, and it has come in handy now. Scaling it up meant adding four additional repeats to the back; to accommodate my waist, I also increased the number of stitches at the bottom edge and decreased the number of increases in Row 46.
   Right now, I'm slowly working my way through 45 rows of "1x1" (knit 1, purl 1) ribbing...on #2 needles. No pictures for now--ribbing isn't interesting. I'll post a picture when I'm deep into the cables.

No comments: