Sunday, November 17, 2019

OMG, She's "Crafting!"

    It's one of "those" days. You know--the ones where the world seems a bit off-kilter from the moment your feet hit the floor. I knew it when I peeked at my Facebook news feed and found that the very first item was an argument in an historical sewing group over...the costumes worn by a bunch of dancers. In a 1966 Andy Williams Christmas special. Shot on a soundstage in Hollywood. No, I don't make this stuff up. Needless to say, my eyes rolled nearly to the back of my head. Really? I mean, REALLY??
Kimberly Hammond's
Christmas Tree Hat
    For a change, I decided to roll with the world being a wee bit tipsy, just for fun. This nonsense reminded me that I saw a terrific novelty hat in the shape of a Christmas tree on someone recently, so I perused Ravelry's pattern database for something similar to that hat. My only requirements: the pattern is free; it's crochet; and it has popcorn stitches to simulate the tree branch tips. It only took a few minutes to find what I was looking for: Kimberly Hammond's "Christmas Tree Hat" pattern. I'll need to make a few changes, as I want it to be a bit wider and squatter, but the pattern--which Ms. Hammond has generously made available to the world--will give me a starting point. While I was on Ravelry, I also pulled some patterns for a Santa's elf hat, complete with ears. If I'm going to run around this holiday season with a Christmas tree on my head, then the long-suffering Spousal Unit can be one of Santa's elves.
My work table is being taken
over by Christmas.
    I normally do not keep holiday "crafting" supplies on hand--everything I have in red, green, and white is very small, cotton, and earmarked for weaving holiday towels for "the shop." A trip to Michael's was definitely in order. It's fairly late in the season to start on holiday "crafts" (Michael's starts putting the holiday stuff out just after July 4th), so the shelves were somewhat bare, but I managed to find green, red, and white acrylic yarns (on sale), tiny plastic Christmas ornaments to trim my "tree" (on sale), and since there's no success without excess, a long string of battery-operated multi-colored LED lights (on sale).
    So I'm probably committing terribly inappropriate pre-Thanksgiving holiday crafting. It somehow seems appropriate.

No glitter was used in the writing of this post. 

No comments: